Building Regulation Part “P”

New Building Regulation Part P (First Rev. April 2006)

Amendments to the Building Regulations known as Part “P” came into effect April 2006, there have been subsequent revisions since then.

All electrical installation work carried out in Domestic Dwellings must now be carried out by electricians registered on a what is known as a Competent Persons Scheme (CPS) only, (some exceptions permitted) or must be notified to Building Control at the local council to obtain planning permission, (fee payable), prior to work commencing.

The main areas of your home that this will affect are as follows:

• Full Rewiring.

• All electrical alterations and additions carried out in a KITCHEN.

• All electrical alterations and additions carried out in a BATHROOM.

• All electrical alterations and additions carried out in a GARDEN / OUTSIDE.

• Installations of new circuits and partial rewiring.

• Upgrading of old fuse boxes to Modern consumer units…etc…

It is now a Criminal Offence for a NON-REGISTERED person to carry out any of the above work with fines of up to £5,000.

Furthermore it may also affect the validity of your home insurance.

The main requirement of Part “P” is that an electrical installation will be carried out by a Qualified Electrician / Competent person who has been assessed and registered on a CPS.

The installers must then carry out ALL their work in accordance with the current requirements of BS 7671: as amended (formerly know as The IEE Wiring Regulations) and issue a certificate of compliance.

The main certificates will be an Electrical Installation Certificate, Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate and Minor Works Certificate.

Once this has been issued the certifying body with whom the installer is registered will issue a second certificate. This will be a Building Regulation Compliance Certificate (BRCC). A copy of the BRCC will be sent to Building Control and you (the Home Owner) will also be issued with a copy.

These certificates will be required in the future when properties change ownership and will show up when Solicitors carry out a search to prove the electrical installation complies with the national standard of safety (BS 7671: as amended)..

This new requirement will also affect DIY workmanship. It will no longer be permitted for an unqualified person / unregistered electrician to carry out alterations or additions to electrical installations in the areas detailed above.

One of the main bodies running Competent Person Schemes overseeing the compliance with the new requirements, as listed below.

The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT )

The installer such as ourselves must be registered on the Domestic Installer Scheme.

Andy Alkins Electrics is an Approved Contractor and registered Domestic Installer. You may check out his current status by following the link

Note: An approved contractor may not always be a registered Domestic Installer, always check.

Electrician, Cheadle, Stoke on Trent

Back to top